· If only for his stewardship of the Who, Kinks and Creation, American Shel Talmy is revered as the producer responsible for distilling the cathartic, kinetic sound of mod rock to disc. Yet within his mid-60s production catalogue lie many other fabulous examples of a genre that wields considerable influence to this day, while remaining very much a way of life for those already converted.
· “Planet Mod” assembles two dozen examples of Talmy’s work in the field, all drawn from a fresh excavation of his rarely tapped, thoroughly ear-opening tape vault. Many, such as the Thoughts, Wild Uncertainty and Tribe were recorded for his short-lived Planet label, while the Trackers and Pros & Cons and others were independent productions Talmy farmed out to major labels.
· The playlist balances black US acts John Lee Hooker, Ray Gates and Screaming Jay Hawkins with the homegrown club R&B of the Soul Brothers, Groundhogs and mod heroes the Untamed. There’s rare early compositions from Bowie (Kenny Miller’s ‘Take My Tip’) and Bill Wyman (the Preachers’ ‘Goodbye Girl’), while the beans are spilled on mysterious outfits the Total and the Corduroys.
· Complete with copious notes and illustrations drawn from the Talmy files, “Planet Mod” is a fitting tribute to the American who injected some much-needed muscle into British rock in its glory days.
· Compilation and note by Alec Palao.
· 180g transparent red vinyl - double LP in heavy duty gatefold jacket.
Big Beat Records – XXQLP2052
2 × Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Mono, Red
Mod, Beat, Rhythm & Blues
A1 –The Untamed (2) Daddy Long Legs
A2 –Kenny Miller (6) Take My Tip
A3 –The Thoughts Call Me Girl
A4 –Screamin' Jay Hawkins Stone Crazy
A5 –John Lee's Groundhogs* I'll Never Fall In Love Again
A6 –John Lee Hooker Mai Lee
B1 –The New Breed (2) Unto Us
B2 –Ray Gates Have You Ever Had The Blues
B3 –The Pros And Cons Why Do You Stand In My Way
B4 –The Tribe (17) Don't Let It Be
B5 –The Corduroys Too Much Of A Woman
B6 –The Untamed (2) I'm Leaving
C1 –The Soul Brothers (5) Searching
C2 –The Preachers (5) Goodbye Girl
C3 –John Lee's Groundhogs* Over You Baby
C4 –Goldie & The Gingerbreads The Skip
C5 –Tony Christie & The Trackers Life's Too Good To Waste
C6 –The Untamed (2) I'm Going Out Tonight
D1 –The Tribe (17) The Gamma Goochie
D2 –The Thoughts Pretty Girl
D3 –The Pros & Cons* Mary Ann
D4 –The Total Think
D5 –A Wild Uncertainty Broken Truth
D6 –The Soul Brothers (5) Goodbye So Long
Phonographic Copyright (p) – Ace Records Ltd.
Copyright (c) – Ace Records Ltd.
All Tracks Previously Unissued Except A1 ℗2001, A4 ℗2017, A5 ℗1966, A6 ℗1966, B5 ℗1966, C3 ℗1966,
C5 ℗1966, C6 ℗2001. D1 ℗1966 & D5 ℗1966
Barcode and Other Identifiers